Sunday, April 29, 2012

MoMA PS1: The Good, the Bad, and the Misunderstood

There are some good art work out there. Ones that would make you wonder many things. There is always the one you really like, the one that could give you a migrane and one that you just don't understand why it's called art.

The artist Clifford Owens really caught my eye. I can't choose a work from him. All of his work is really weird and unusual. Something different that i haven't seen in my life. His work consists of nakedness and just completely weird. Weird is how i can some up his work. At first i would say, "what in the world is this man doing..?" I couldn't keep my eye of all the stuff he did in his videos. But then again, that's exactly what he wants you to do and think. It's what makes art art. Looking at it over and over again for how weird it is. He achieved his goal in making people view his weirdness. Different is what makes something amazing and enjoyable.

A work that i thought was bad was "Rock it" by Carmine Boccuzzi and Bernard Lumpkin. This work was just... i don't know i can't explain it.. but it gave me a migrane. Migrane as in.. i just couldn't stand it. How is this art? How can simple wood, cardboard, foam and a mannequin's head be art? It's too simple but yet it might have a meaning. Or maybe the artists were bored and decided to build this baby up and call it art.

A confusing art work for me was "Chicken burrito, Beef burrito". I honestly have no words for it. Simple as it can be.. it's a white room with nothing in it. All there is is a silly song playing. A kind of song you might hear when the main character is walking down the street all happy in a cartoon. I found it to be pretty catchy and scary. Going in that white room made me think, "What if someone just stays here for hours and hours with that same song playing?" It reminded me of the scene from Stanley Kubrick's "A clockwork orange" When the main character was scarred for life with Beethoven's ninth symphony. Anyway, this honestly made me wonder why this is called art. A simple white room and a song.

Some people may understand all the values of art. But do people understand why exactly these specific things are art? Sometimes art is just... things no one can explain. Some do have stories behind it but barely have to do anything with the work. It's exactly how art works. If it were up to me and if i were to have my art put out there.. it'll just be my comic book drawings and simple crazy stuff i love to draw. But either way, i give these artists props for having a wild imagination and achieving their artist goals with some nonsense.



  • Clifford Owens

  • "Rock it"
    Collection Carmine Boccuzzi and Bernard Lumpkin, New York
    2008
  • "Chicken burrito, Beef burrito"
    Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment